Malpua is one of the easy to make Bengali sweet dish.All you need is maida(flour),sooji(semolina),sugar, milk and cardamom powder, funnel seeds for flavor.It is almost like making pan cakes only deep fried. Cook and store them in a jar and you can enjoy them as dessert or snack.
- Maida – 1 cup
- Sooji / Semolina – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Mouri / Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Milk (according to thickness)
- Chopped coconut
- Khoya Kheer Or Mawa grated 1/2 cup
- Baking Powder 1/4 teaspoon
- White oil to fry
For Sugar Syrup:
- Sugar 1 cup
- Water 1/2 cup
- Cardamom pods 2-3
- Saffron Strands 5-6
Steps to Prepare
- Take a saucepan and add all the ingredients under the heading of syrup and bring mixture to a boil. After boiling 5 minutes off the oven and let the syrup cool to the room temperature
- First mix all the dry ingredients(maida, sooji, khoya kheere, sugar, salt, mouri, baking powder & coconut) together in a bowl.Now add milk to make a batter not so thik not so thin like pancake batter .
- Keep the mixture in room temperature for about 15 minutes. Then take a flat non stick pan and heat oil and pour one big spoon at a time and fry the both side till golden brown.
Now soak each “Malpoa” into the sugar syrup at a time for 1-2 minutes and take it out from the syrup and place on a plate.
Serve “Malpoa” hot or chilled.